By now, you’ve almost certainly watched, re-watched, and re-watched again the new trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. To say we can’t wait for this couldn’t be more of an understatement; our excitement is at fever pitch, and we bet that yours is too. In the meantime, we went through the third trailer in minute detail. It’s fair to say that we have a good feeling about this one…
1. Rey inside what we’re assuming is the innards of the fallen Star Destroyer on Jakku. We’re guessing she’ll find something important there…
2. …and off she treks home, accompanied by BB-8. Hang on, what’s the little droid doing there? Doesn’t he belong to Poe Dameron?
3. “Who are you?” says the voiceover, to which Rey replies “I’m no one.” Is this the first meeting between Leia and Rey?
4. Meanwhile, Finn takes off his First Order Stromtrooper helmet. Note the helmet caked with bloody handprints – the grittiness factor has definitely been upped.
5. What we’re assuming is Finn’s TIE Fighter goes crashing towards the surface of Jakku. Has he gone awol and been shot down in an escape attempt, or has he just been in a battle gone wrong?
6. Finn wanders towards a built-up area of Jakku – we’re guessing this is where he meets up with Rey.
7. Judging by the officious-looking uniforms, we’re reckoning this a First Order command ship. Maybe watching the poster’s Death Star-esque superweapon in action?
8. Kylo Ren gets his close-up. “Nothing will stand in our way. I will finish what you started,” he utters. Is he talking to someone? Luke, perhaps?
9. Or is he simply monologuing to this melted Vader helmet? Considering how much he has styled himself on the latter, it’s definitely possible.
10. Oh dear – it looks like Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron is a hostage of Kylo. What exactly is he doing?
11. Shortly after Poe’s scream, this flashes across the screen. Are we seeing first-hand the effects of the First Order’s new weapon? And look at the trees – is this Endor? Will it be the next Alderaan? Or is this a vision being planted in his head?
12. The Falcon flies through the wreckage of the Star Destroyer, pursued by two TIE Fighters – which seem ever so slightly more formidable this time around.
13. “There are stories about what happened. Is it true?” An interesting statement – has the Rebellion passed into myth already? It’s only been 30 years, although considering the Jedi were looked on with superstition in A New Hope, it’s definitely possible.
14. “All of it,” replies Han ruefully. Wonder what he’s been up to in the intervening years between Return Of The Jedi and The Force Awakens?
15. Despite the focus on practical effects, there was always going to be a fair bit of CGI – nice to see the light-speed effects get an upgrade.
16. Kylo with who we’re assuming are his fellow Knights of Ren – you probably wouldn’t want to mess with them.
17. First Order Stormtroopers at the site of the upcoming X-Wing vs TIEs battle. And is that a massive wave heading their way in the distance?
18. In the teaser this just looked like Poe giving Finn a friendly pat on the back – but now we know that he encounters Kylo Ren, is everything as it seems? Finn definitely looks uneasy, although that could just be because he’s off to fight in a battle.
19. Poe is the self-described “best frickin’ pilot in the galaxy’. Here he is in action, mowing down an unfortunate TIE Fighter.
20. A new shot of Finn, Rey and BB-8 being pursued on Jakku, while Han finished his earlier sentence by saying, “The Jedi; they’re real.”
21. We’re going to assume that this is the castle belonging to crime lord Maz Kanata (played by Lupita Nyong’o). Definitely looks a bit flashier than Jabba’s palace.
22. Still our only shot of Luke – they’re really keeping his role under wraps. Is he just sat around a fire for warmth, or next to another funeral pyre?
23. Our first new shot of Gwendoline Christie’s Captain Phasma, striding through a torched settlement on Jakku. Another one you wouldn’t want to mess with,
24. In case Kylo Ren’s villainous credentials were in any doubt, here he is delivering what looks like a killing blow with his lightsaber. Maybe someone who wouldn’t give him information?
25. Rey sits distraught next to… a body? Has a much-loved Star Wars character fallen? Who could it be?
26. It looks like Finn, Chewbacca (complete with bandage) and Han have been taken prisoner – although judging by where they’re looking, help could be on the way.
27. Already the breakout star of the movie, BB-8 takes to the skies in yet another battle on the snow-covered planet we saw previously.
28. You don’t want to make Rey angry. Is she trying to avenge the death of whoever fell in the scene before?
29. “The Force: it’s calling to you.” Who is Leia speaking to here – and if this is Leia, does this mean she’s been doing a bit of Jedi training in the intervening years?
30. Some unfortunate crew members get vapourised. Judging by what we’ve seen so far, the body count in The Force Awakens is going to be pretty high.
31. Leia and Han reunited – daaaaaw. But is this the reunion of two long-separated loves, or them consoling each other over a mutual loss?
32. Finn with Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber – reportedly what Kylo Ren has been looking for. In fairness he looks pretty confident here…
33. …although he is definitely a bit shook up now Kylo has his hood off. And with a final voiceover of “Just let it in”, there we have it! Get your tickets booked…