IT’S HERE! IT’S HERE! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! We’ve been waiting for so long for footage from Avengers: Age Of Ultron that we probably would have been happy with a clip of Thor picking his nose, it be honest. But we got so much more than that, and it was fabulous.
After watching it on repeat all morning, we’ve decided to give you a breakdown of the trailer so the time was not wasted. Here it is:
1. Obligatory shot of the city people fleeing. What’s that coming over the hill? Is it a monster? It looks quite large. Run, city people! Save yourselves!
2. But what ho! Who’s that behind the smoke? They look suspiciously like Hollywood’s Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson, aka. Wanda and Pietro Maximoff, aaka Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
3. The first glimpse of Ultron – more specifically, his molten hand. “I’m going to show you something beautiful,” he says. “Everyone screaming for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don’t want it to change.” What a dick. Jesus.
4. Something is seriously off here. The Avengers could just be hanging out, but Banner is on the floor, sweating and clutching his chest. Are they all trapped in there together? Is Banner trying not to change?
5. Ultron shows his face pretty early on, which resembles Iron Man’s, only demented and smashed up. “You’re all puppets. Tangled in strings.”
6. Ooooh, snap. Ultron crushes this armour in his fist as if it were a grapefruit.
7. There’s a lot of emphasis on this building, but what is it? A new SHIELD hidey-hole? Ultron’s lair? Are monks teaming up with the Avengers?
8. IS THAT A BLOODY TANK?
9. Banner staggers shirtless around a forest before falling to the ground. There’s an awful lot of Banner being unable to control himself throughout the trailer. Could Age Of Ultron offer an opportunity to set up Ruffalo!Hulk’s own solo movie?
10. Whoa there, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch — why are you with Ultron? And why are you following him into a secret lair?
11. BABY ULTRONS EVERYWHERE. SEND HELP.
12. “It’s the end… the end of the path I started us on,” says Tony. He’s looking stressed. Perhaps he’s blaming himself. Perhaps this will be the start of another breakdown.
13. When Fury faked his death in Captain America: The Winter Soldier he went into hiding. Will Age Of Ultron give him an opportunity reveal himself (not like that), or will he have to stay underground, instructing from the shadows?
14. Scarlet Witch is struggling to keep it together as she falls to the ground, screaming. Interesting how Quicksilver isn’t in this shot, when so far they’ve been inseparable…
15. THE HULKBUSTER. Iron Man v the Incredible Hulk. Expect the most epic smackdown in Marvel cinematic history.
16. Probably not that relevant to the plot, but Black Widow jumps out of a plane on a motorbike, so it’s worth a mention.
17. Quicksilver shows off his moves in, what is that? A bus? Cap looks mostly unfazed in the background. Is this evidence of a Avenger/Maximoff team-up?
18. This could just be a flashback sequence, but it looks as though Cap has gone back to a dance hall in the 1940s.
19. Why hello, Andy Serkis! What are you doing there? Serkis’s character is unconfirmed, and will likely to stay that way until the film’s theatrical release, but the rumour mill suggests he’s playing Ulysses Claw, the arch enemy of Black Panther. If the rumour turns out to be the real deal, this presents a solid window for Black Panther himself to make an entrance into the MCU.
20. The God of Thunder shirtless, rage-filled and screaming. Nothing new there.
21. After Hulk basically hunted down Black Widow on SHIELD’s helicarrier and tried to kill her, this is a pretty big step for the pair. It could even be the start of a new relationship blossoming.
22. Thor isn’t happy with Tony. Sure, they bickered in Avengers Assemble, but this is a whole new level of no-bros. Could Thor’s anger be to do with Tony’s part in creating Ultron, or is this the start of the team falling apart completely?
23. Seriously concerned for Cap right now. His hand lays lifeless on the rubble, while his apparently indestructible shield is broken in two.
24. “There are no strings on me.” Goosebumps, end scene.
25. BONUS: Hawkeye in his home clothes.
We’re sure you’ve already seen it, but there’s no harm in looping the trailer for the rest of the day:
Avengers: Age of Ultron will be in cinemas on 24 April 2015. You can buy Avengers Assemble on Blu-Ray for £10.87 on Blu-ray from Amazon.co.uk. For more on the comics that have inspired the movie, pick up our 100 All-Time Greatest Comics bookazine now!