Speaking to CultBox, Merlin writer/producer Julian Murphy confirmed that an older actor has been chosen to play the villainous Mordred in Merlin Series 5, replacing Hugo and Ender’s Game star Asa Butterfield.
“We’re happy to officially say that Alexander Vlahos is playing the older Mordred,” said Murphy. “He’s in a lot of Series 5.”
Merlin Series 5 will be the first genre role for Vlahos, who has appeared in both Doctors and The Indian Doctor as a regular character.
“As happens with many of these things – I guess Harry Potter being the most famous example – you do take the younger audience with you and to keep them you need to offer more sophisticated fare.”
So, what do you think the story is behind the older Mordred?
More Merlin on SciFiNow
- Merlin series 5: “Gwen won’t change the relationship between Merlin and Arthur”
- Merlin series 5: “He’s becoming much more stronger, focused and powerful”
- Interview with Bradley James, Merlin’s Prince Arthur
- Merlin: The Movie
- Win Merlin complete series 4 on Blu-ray
Merlin DVD box sets on Amazon
- Merlin – Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD]
- Merlin – Complete Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
- Merlin – Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD]
- Merlin – Complete Series 4 Box Set [DVD]