Game Of Thrones: The Complete First Season has achieved HBO’s most successful first week DVD/Blu-ray sales of all time, beating such heavy hitters as The Sopranos, True Blood and Boardwalk Empire, with over 350,000 units sold.
Speaking to SciFiNow, Alfie Allen who plays Theon Greyjoy observed, “It’s going to be like The Wire in that it’s already achieved some cult status but it takes a while to achieve that. I think when it came out in box set – it took five or six years for it to come out – and it became really, really big in the UK, and I think the Game Of Thrones DVD launch will definitely get the ball rolling.”
In a statement, HBO Home Entertainment president Henry McGee said: “What we are seeing is Game Of Thrones being a hit across all platforms – network, disc and digital.”
Game Of Thrones Season 2 begins April 2 on Sky Atlantic HD.
More Game Of Thrones on SciFiNow
- Game Of Thrones’ Alfie Allen on Season 2 and Theon Greyjoy
- Game Of Thrones Season 2 gruesome new poster (Season 1 spoilers!)
- Game Of Thrones Season 2: Samwell Tarly is “going to change”
- Game Of Thrones Season 2: Jaime Lannister’s best scene “isn’t in the book”
- Game Of Thrones Season 2 exclusive: Ygritte “has a lot of fun teasing Jon Snow”
- Game Of Thrones Season 2 has “masses of action and sword fights”
- Game Of Thrones Season 2’s Jeyne Westerling is different from the book