James Whale’s beautiful and creepy gothic classic The Old Dark House has been given a beautiful 4K restoration and a Blu-ray release by the folks at Eureka Entertainment and Masters Of Cinema, and to celebrate we have three copies to give away!
“A group of weary travellers, a spooky mansion, and a madman on the loose upstairs! Director James Whale’s The Old Dark House is one of the best and most entertaining horror films of the 1930’s. Dripping with atmosphere and packed to the brim with thrills, chills and gallows humour, it was considered lost for many years, but is now being presented from a stunning new 4K restoration.
Caught in a storm whilst journeying through a remote region of Wales, a group of travellers take refuge in a sinister mansion inhabited by the bizarre Femm family and their mute butler, Morgan (played by the iconic Boris Karloff, Frankenstein, The Mummy). Trying to make the best of a bad situation, the group settles in for the night, but the Femm family have a few skeletons in their closet, and one of them is on the loose…
With an incredible cast, including Melvyn Douglas (Hud, Twilight’s Last Gleaming), Gloria Stuart (Titanic) and Charles Laughton (Witness for the Prosecution, Ruggles of Red Gap), The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present The Old Dark House in a special Dual Format edition, the first time the film has been available on Blu-ray in the UK.”
To be in with a chance of winning, simply answer the following question:
*** Competition Expired ***
The Blu-ray also includes the following:
Limited Edition O-Card (first pressing only) featuring artwork by Graham Humphreys created especially for the 2018 UK theatrical release
· Gorgeous 1080p presentation from the Cohen Media Group 4K restoration (with a progressive encode on the DVD)
· Uncompressed LPCM audio (On the Blu-ray)
· Optional English subtitles
· An exclusive video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns
· Feature length audio commentary by critic & author Kim Newman and Stephen Jones
· Feature length audio commentary by Gloria Stuart
· Feature length audio commentary by James Whale biographer James Curtis
· Daughter of Frankenstein: A Conversation with Sara Karloff
· Curtis Harrington Saves The Old Dark House – an archival interview with director Curtis Harrington about his efforts to save The Old Dark House at a time when it was considered a lost film
· Eureka! trailer for the 2018 theatrical release of The Old Dark House
· A collector’s booklet featuring new essay by critic Philip Kemp, as well as an abundant selection of archival imagery and ephemera.
THE OLD DARK HOUSE, James Whale’s atmospheric and entertaining horror starring Boris Karloff and Melvyn Douglas, is available now as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in a definitive Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition and can be purchased here https://amzn.to/2qvtGcr