SciFiNow were treated to an early viewing of the Doctor Who Christmas special, the Narnia-inspired tale titled The Doctor, The Widow And The Wardrobe. Here are some spoiler-free thoughts on what’s coming December 25th, 7pm on BBC One.
- Crunching snow underfoot, creaking oak doors, bad weather – it’s packed with visuals that will make you glad you’ve got the central heating on.
- The Doctor comes out with some witty one-liners and there’s a new play on the phrase ‘timey-wimey’.
- It’s the most action filled opener of all New Who with a grand space opera style sequence.
- There might be a rise in the number of kids who want to become caretakers when they grow up after the Doctor’s marvelously mad turn.
- You don’t need to have tuned in or concentrated particularly hard on Doctor Who series six to be able to enjoy this standalone special.
- If the ending doesn’t make you well up, you must be part Cyberman. In fact, it’s probably the most emotional Christmas special yet.
Showrunner Steven Moffat also made a big announcement at the press launch about next series – the Ponds will be leaving at some point in series seven. We don’t know when or how, but that the Doctor will then meet “he, she, or it” soon after.